Wednesday, 2021-09-01

*** BCMM <BCMM!~BCMM@user/bcmm> has quit IRC (Quit: Konversation terminated!)00:03
*** jmiehe <jmiehe!~Thunderbi@user/jmiehe> has quit IRC (Quit: jmiehe)00:13
*** qschulz <qschulz!> has quit IRC (Remote host closed the connection)00:32
*** qschulz <qschulz!> has joined #yocto00:34
*** mranostaj <mranostaj!~mranostaj@> has quit IRC (Remote host closed the connection)00:48
*** mranostaj <mranostaj!~mranostaj@> has joined #yocto00:59
*** FredO <FredO!> has quit IRC (Read error: Connection reset by peer)01:15
*** jwillikers <jwillikers!> has quit IRC (Remote host closed the connection)01:16
*** d0ku <d0ku!> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)01:24
*** RobertBerger <RobertBerger!~rber|> has joined #yocto01:32
*** rber|res <rber|res!~rber|> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)01:34
*** FredO <FredO!> has joined #yocto01:47
*** camus1 <camus1!~Instantbi@> has joined #yocto02:01
*** camus <camus!~Instantbi@> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)02:02
*** camus1 is now known as camus02:02
*** sakoman <sakoman!~steve@> has quit IRC (Quit: Leaving.)02:05
*** te_johan <te_johan!> has quit IRC (Remote host closed the connection)02:45
*** te_johan <te_johan!> has joined #yocto02:46
*** te_johan <te_johan!> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 256 seconds)02:56
*** te_johan <te_johan!> has joined #yocto03:22
*** te_johan <te_johan!> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)03:29
*** cocoJoe <cocoJoe!> has joined #yocto04:09
*** amitk <amitk!~amit@> has joined #yocto04:40
*** amitk <amitk!~amit@> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)04:46
*** amitk <amitk!~amit@> has joined #yocto05:07
dwagenkGood morning! Trying to get some feedback whether the following would be a welcome change to openembedded-core:05:17
dwagenkopenembedded-core/meta/classes/mirrors.bbclass already contains a rule to fetch git repos via https if git protocol fails (common due to corporate firewalls).05:17
dwagenkThis logic works, if the URI for both protocols is identical.05:17
dwagenkgit://./.                   git://HOST/PATH;protocol=https \n \05:17
dwagenkgit://* git://;protocol=https \n \05:17
dwagenkOn many servers (using cgit as WebUI) the URI for fetching via https contains a "git/" as first part of the path. See the following line from mirrors.bbclass thast handles this rewrite for
dwagenkI suggest to add a general rule for these cases to mirrors.bbclass05:17
dwagenkand remove the then obsolete server-specific rewrite rules.05:17
dwagenkHas this been discussed and dismissed before? Or should I send a patch?05:17
dwagenkgit://./.                   git://HOST/git/PATH;protocol=https \n \05:17
*** te_johan <te_johan!> has joined #yocto05:26
*** te_johan <te_johan!> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)05:35
*** m4ho <m4ho!> has joined #yocto05:41
*** leon-anavi <leon-anavi!~Leon@> has joined #yocto06:09
*** te_johan <te_johan!> has joined #yocto06:18
*** RobertBerger <RobertBerger!~rber|> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)06:24
*** tp43_ <tp43_!~ndeem@2001:1970:502b:d701:a199:1a3e:abd1:ac4c> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)06:25
*** rber|res <rber|res!~rber|> has joined #yocto06:28
*** manuel_ <manuel_!~manuel198@> has quit IRC (Remote host closed the connection)06:29
*** ndec[m] <ndec[m]!~ndecmatri@2001:470:69fc:105::9c0> has left #yocto06:30
*** camus <camus!~Instantbi@> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)06:32
*** camus <camus!~Instantbi@> has joined #yocto06:33
*** frieder <frieder!> has joined #yocto06:34
*** wwilly <wwilly!~wwilly@2a01:cb10:171:3a00:d2e:8faf:a535:2629> has joined #yocto06:42
*** camus1 <camus1!~Instantbi@> has joined #yocto06:48
*** camus <camus!~Instantbi@> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)06:50
*** camus1 is now known as camus06:50
*** te_johan <te_johan!> has quit IRC (Remote host closed the connection)06:54
*** te_johan <te_johan!> has joined #yocto06:55
wCPOCan a PACKAGECONFIG have another PACKAGECONFIG as dependency?07:00
*** LetoThe2nd <LetoThe2nd!> has joined #yocto07:13
*** LetoThe2nd <LetoThe2nd!> has left #yocto07:13
JosefHolzmayr[m]yo dudX07:13
*** rfuentess <rfuentess!~rfuentess@2a01:cb14:87e:2200:1c04:7ffa:2a52:b0c2> has joined #yocto07:17
mihaiwCPO: nope07:26
*** bps <bps!~bps@user/bps> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 244 seconds)07:29
*** florian <florian!> has joined #yocto07:31
*** manuel1985 <manuel1985!~manuel198@> has joined #yocto07:31
JosefHolzmayr[m]wCPO: you could add a function to the recipe that checks the packageconfig and errs out on an invalid combination.07:34
qschulzJosefHolzmayr[m]: wth happened to your nick :o07:53
JosefHolzmayr[m]qschulz: currently on a matrix/element test07:53
qschulzbest of luck07:54
JosefHolzmayr[m]so far its ok. not overwhelming, but interesting.07:54
*** Belsirk <Belsirk!> has joined #yocto07:58
*** Belsirk <Belsirk!> has quit IRC (Client Quit)07:59
*** mihai- <mihai-!~mihai@user/mihai> has joined #yocto08:00
*** rfuentess <rfuentess!~rfuentess@2a01:cb14:87e:2200:1c04:7ffa:2a52:b0c2> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)08:00
*** mihai <mihai!~mihai@user/mihai> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)08:03
*** d0ku <d0ku!> has joined #yocto08:13
RPvmeson: FWIW the issues are because LD_LIBRARY_PATH is being set and confusing the binaries08:19
zyga-mbpzeddii I had a look at a go fetcher08:20
zyga-mbpI think it's relatively easy08:20
zyga-mbpsome things suck though, mostly licenses08:20
zyga-mbpwhile the go system explicitly packages LICENSE in addition to the sources08:20
JosefHolzmayr[m]"go fetcher" sounds almost like "sudo make me a sandwich"08:20
zyga-mbpsome projects have a different file in their tree08:20
zyga-mbpI will spend time _next week_ on a prototype08:21
zyga-mbpbut it seems highly doable with this assumption:08:21
zyga-mbpthe fetcher will be like npm fetcher08:21
zyga-mbpeach recipe will describe a go module like what you can specify to go install or go download08:21
zyga-mbpeach recipe will fetch the go module cache and keep _that_ as the source08:21
zyga-mbpthe -dev and -src and other binary packages will change for sure08:22
zyga-mbpthe up side is that we stay compatible with the go ecosystem08:22
zyga-mbpthere's exactly zero things that are custom since go does all the hard work08:22
zyga-mbpand multi-version problem in avoided08:23
zyga-mbppackages should be also quite easy to maintain, with the exception of license checker that may need to be a bit more elaborate08:23
zyga-mbpas any non trivial recipe will have dozens of licenses08:23
zyga-mbpJosefHolzmayr[m] I wish go made me a sandwitch now ;)08:24
JosefHolzmayr[m]"go fetch me a beer"08:24
zyga-mbpanother consequence is that the fetcher will be a separate ecosystem from the go.bbclass and go-mod.bbclass packages08:24
zyga-mbpand I honestly would deprecate them08:24
zyga-mbpsince it seems like a dead-end08:24
zyga-mbpI did not look at cgo but apart from a set of variables to set, I don't expect problems yet08:25
*** bps <bps!> has joined #yocto08:26
te_johanin a older yocto version i used IMAGE_POSTPROCESS_COMMAND to zip some files from DEPLOY_DIR_IMAGE. the files are now deployed later so that does not work.08:29
JosefHolzmayr[m]te_johan: "older" means "pre-morty", right? ;-)08:29
te_johanthat would be sumo :)08:29
JosefHolzmayr[m]te_johan: that sounds strange. but anyways you usually want to use IMGDEPLOYDIR for algorithmic use, not DEPLOY_DIR_IMAGE08:30
te_johanok thanks08:31
*** camus <camus!~Instantbi@> has quit IRC (Quit: camus)08:44
*** camus <camus!~Instantbi@> has joined #yocto08:45
RPWell, I can see why cargo-native breaks on centos7. How to fix it? No idea :(08:45
*** tnovotny <tnovotny!> has joined #yocto08:46
*** camus <camus!~Instantbi@> has quit IRC (Read error: Connection reset by peer)08:51
*** camus <camus!~Instantbi@> has joined #yocto08:51
*** BCMM <BCMM!~BCMM@user/bcmm> has joined #yocto08:54
JosefHolzmayr[m]RP: when cargo is broken, one usually puts it into a container and ships it back,08:58
* JosefHolzmayr[m] badum-tsh!08:58
*** rber|res <rber|res!~rber|> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 244 seconds)08:59
*** Chep <Chep!~chep@> has quit IRC (Quit: ZNC -
*** Guest28 <Guest28!> has joined #yocto09:15
Guest28How can I execute shell or python script from conf file?09:16
JosefHolzmayr[m]Guest28: what are you trying to archieve?09:17
Guest28JosefHolzmayr[m] get hostname09:17
JosefHolzmayr[m]Guest28: why would one want that?09:18
JosefHolzmayr[m]such would sabotage build reproducibility.09:18
Guest28JosefHolzmayr[m] I want to fill in PACKAGE_FEED_URIS to the hostname currently building.09:18
JosefHolzmayr[m]Guest28: better approach. set it to a variable, maybe "MYMAGICPACKAGEFEEDSOURCE". whitelist that variable, and pass it in through the environment.09:20
JosefHolzmayr[m]and voila, you can both have the cake (reproducible, host independent build) and eat it (set PACKAGE_FEED_URIS)09:21
Guest28JosefHolzmayr[m] you men set variable in local.conf and then pick it up in conf file?09:24
JosefHolzmayr[m]erm, what "conf" file are you talking about?09:26
qschulzIs the conf file a bitbake conf file? (i.e. distro.conf, <machine>.conf local.conf, layer.conf, ...)09:26
Guest28qschulz yes bitbake conf file (e.g. distro.conf)09:26
JosefHolzmayr[m]like i said. set it in the environment, example: "MYMAGICPACKAGEFEEDYOURCE=$(hostname) bitbake my-cool-image"09:27
*** mihai- is now known as mihai09:28
JosefHolzmayr[m]add MYMAGICPACKAGEFEEDSOURCE to BB_ENV_WHITELIST for your build, and you can use it everywhere.09:28
Guest28can BB_ENV_WHITELIST be put in build/local.conf file?09:31
qschulzI think you might be able to set PACKAGE_FEED_URIS from an image recipe directly09:32
JosefHolzmayr[m]qschulz: it might indeed have special properties. a good example for checking the actual situation first instead of going for the first solution that comes to mind ("executing random code in local.conf")09:33
qschulznope never mind, it's globally inherited09:34
qschulz(the class rootfs_ipk that is using this variable)09:34
qschulzbut this is going to destroy the sstate-cache09:35
*** rber|res <rber|res!~rber|> has joined #yocto09:35
qschulzalso why should the hostname matter to the package feed?09:35
Guest28 wanted to append package feed with local build machine that developer is sitting on and building from09:37
JosefHolzmayr[m]i guess that this for local dev images that should be automagically be able to use a package feed.09:37
JosefHolzmayr[m]which is a legit usecase to me, but the approach is not a good one.09:37
qschulzI think you should add an init script (which can have some build machine specific settings) that is configuring the package feed at runtime09:39
qschulzand this init script would be provided in one recipe only, reading the hostname from within an anonymous python function I guess09:41
qschulzand inserting it in the init script09:41
qschulzwhich is installed via the package created by the recipe included inside the image recipe09:41
mcfriskhi, could/should "seccomp" be one of DISTRO_FEATURES?09:42
qschulzif the anonymous python cannot for some reason get the hostname of the build machine, then use the mechanism provided by JosefHolzmayr[m] but still use a separate recipe as I explained above09:43
qschulzI think it's the less intrusive solution, still being able to use a global sstate-cache in your company but have the ability for developers to use packages they built locally09:44
Guest28qschulz ok, thanks the proposal. the procedure is a bit involved. could i not then just append the file /etc/opkg/base-feeds.conf directly with an append file?09:56
qschulzi rechecked again and I think you don't need any of this and going with the original solution suggested by JosefHolzmayr[m] (BB_ENV_WHITELIST + MYMAGICPACKAGEFEEDSOURCE)10:01
qschulzshould work just fine10:01
qschulzthis is because the rootfs_ipk.bbclass which is inherited globally just sets flags for the do_rootfs task, which means it applies to recipes with a rootfs task only10:02
qschulzbut you should check by yourself if it does not trigger a full rebuild10:02
qschulzotherwise, I think it's safe to just modify the PACKAGE_FEED_URIS from the image recipe directly10:04
RPmcfrisk: possibly10:05
qschulzwhich means only the image recipe will be impacted with the PACKAGE_FEED_URIS change and lose the benefit of sstate-cache10:05
*** goliath <goliath!~goliath@user/goliath> has joined #yocto10:22
*** xmn <xmn!> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)10:31
*** xmn <xmn!> has joined #yocto10:33
* RP might have a fix for cargo on centos7. I hate it though :/10:42
RPvmeson: ^^^10:42
RPzeddii: I'm a bit puzzled by - meta-virt started failing10:52
RPI suspect something in another layer but haven't looked into it.10:52
RPI think sgw / tgamblin may have looked further10:53
*** manuel1985 <manuel1985!~manuel198@> has quit IRC (Remote host closed the connection)10:59
*** te_johan <te_johan!> has quit IRC (Quit: Leaving...)11:00
*** manuel1985 <manuel1985!~manuel198@> has joined #yocto11:13
*** jwillikers <jwillikers!> has joined #yocto11:28
*** te_johan <te_johan!> has joined #yocto11:29
*** manuel_ <manuel_!~manuel198@> has joined #yocto11:33
*** otavio <otavio!> has quit IRC (Remote host closed the connection)11:34
*** zyga <zyga!~zyga@> has joined #yocto11:35
*** jwillikers <jwillikers!> has quit IRC (Remote host closed the connection)11:36
*** manuel1985 <manuel1985!~manuel198@> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)11:36
*** te_johan <te_johan!> has quit IRC (Remote host closed the connection)11:36
*** te_johan <te_johan!> has joined #yocto11:37
*** zyga-mbp <zyga-mbp!~zyga@> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)11:37
*** jwillikers <jwillikers!> has joined #yocto11:44
*** rfuentess <rfuentess!> has joined #yocto11:45
qschulzRP: BTW, thanks a ton for the RPROVIDES explanation!11:55
RPqschulz: np, we should really try and document it better...11:55
JosefHolzmayr[m]<advertisement>its exactly two weeks left to the YP linux foundation mentorship session:</advertisement>11:56
qschulzRP: and if my understanding is correct, if a package is put into an RDEPENDS whose name only exists in RPROVIDES, the build will fail because bitbake is not in charge of resolving RDEPENDS but the package manager, so bitbake sees it exists in some recipe so confirms RDEPENDS is valid but the recipe won't be built so the package manager will fail11:58
RPqschulz: the build won't fail, you need to think about the case two packages put the same entry in RPROVIDES11:59
RPthen what happens?11:59
qschulzbasically it depends on the recipe (or one of its package, without RPROVIDES "mechanism") being pulled in as a (runtime/build time) dependency to have this "RPROVIDES package" built and available to the package manager11:59
RPqschulz: if there is just one entry, things are fine and bitbake and the package manager will agree12:00
RPwell, you hope they would12:00
qschulzif there are two (which I assume is often the case, otherwise RPROVIDES has a limited usecase?), then bitbake can't know but knows it can be satisfied so it'll be up to the package manager to pick the package. Assuming of course only one of the packages RPROVIDES'ing the same string is built12:02
RPqschulz: right, but that is the issue? Which one does bitbake choose and would the package manager choose the same one?12:03
qschulzMy assumption is that if you have two packages RPROVIDES'ing the same thing (during parsing!), RDEPENDS mechanism will not trigger a build of one of the recipes12:04
qschulzof either of the recipes*12:04
RPqschulz: I'm not actually sure what bitbake does with that to be honest12:05
qschulzso then it depends on one of the recipes to be built so that one package is built and available to the package manager, which will then take care of fulfilling the RDEPENDS12:06
qschulzbut all just guesses :)12:06
qschulzand it seems to be a rather complex topic, so should definitely be documented (better?) :)12:06
RPqschulz: I think bitbake could allow multiple providers of the thing to built. It would then be up to the package manager12:07
qschulzbut then how would the package manager pick the appropriate package to use since we don't have PREFERRED_RPROVIDER?12:08
qschulzso many questions /o\12:08
RPqschulz: this is why it is not supported12:09
qschulzI need to re-read your mail I think because I don';t see why the ability to specify RPROVIDES was ever given12:10
RPqschulz: package managers need RPROVIDES+RREPLACES to replace other older packages with newly named ones12:11
qschulznow it clicks :)12:11
*** bps <bps!~bps@user/bps> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)12:14
RPzeddii: it is something in the last changes in meta-oe :(12:16
RPkhem: something in meta-oe that changed recently is breaking meta-virt in yocto-check-layer :(12:16
*** manuel_ <manuel_!~manuel198@> has quit IRC (Remote host closed the connection)12:22
RPzeddii, khem, tgamblin: Looks like two copies of a python recipe, one in meta-oe, one in meta-virt. Can you resolve this between you and stop breaking the autobuilder, please? :)12:26
tgamblinRP: zeddii: echoing here but it's because python3-cached-property was recently added to meta-python with the same version but different recipe content12:26
tgamblinRP: zeddii: khem: yes. I think we should remove it from meta-virtualization now that it's in meta-python, unless having BBCLASSEXTEND = "native" is a dealbreaker for meta-virtualization12:29
tgamblinBoth layers carry the same version. The only difference is that the meta-python one includes that BBCLASSEXTEND line, and adds DESCRIPTION and SECTION12:30
*** manuel1985 <manuel1985!~manuel198@> has joined #yocto12:32
zeddiiI'd prefer not to remove it.12:33
*** otavio <otavio!> has joined #yocto12:33
zeddiiit has had some specifc version dependencies in the past, and I can't chase version bumps constantly in meta-python.12:33
RPzeddii: this could be a bit tricky given there are other recipes in meta-python that now appear to depend on it :(12:40
zeddiiqueue my complaint about 'language layers'12:40
tgamblinRP: zeddii: the other solution would be setting BBFILE_PRIORITY, but which should be higher?12:41
RPtgamblin: It won't help pass the compat tests12:41
zeddiiI can always rename mine to something else, and/or start copying more of the dependencies into meta-virt to avoid meta-oe12:41
RPzeddii: I suspect you hit the same issue even if you don't have language layers as soon as you have two "topic layers" using the same thing :(12:42
RPzeddii: copying dependencies will just make meta-virt and meta-oe not get on :/12:42
RPI suspect if you make the recipes match, the layer check will be ok again12:43
RPuntil one upgrades and the other doesn't12:43
tgamblinI can send a patch to meta-virtualization to make the changes, and after that I'll have to keep an eye out for it or something12:44
zeddiitgamblin: I'll just give the meta-virt one a different name with -virt- or something similar in the middle. Saves me adding a pinned version in the meta-virt conf files as well.12:47
RPzeddii: won't that cause problems on target trying to install both together?12:48
RPI think I need to keep out of this one! :)12:49
zeddiihmm. I suppose so.  I can just figure out what is using it in meta-oe, see if it is needed for meta-virt and blacklist it if virt is enabled in distro features.12:50
JPEWACK, ELC requires pre-recorded virtual talks by the 7th!. I just started my slides last night!12:51
JosefHolzmayr[m]JPEW: wut ELC is prerecorded?12:51
zeddiiJPEW: I'm in tough on that as well :D12:51
zeddiiAnd I just had to record my linaro connect one yesterday, which means I haven't done anything on ELC12:51
JPEWJosefHolzmayr[m]: If you are doing it virtually12:51
JosefHolzmayr[m]JPEW: yay for hybri.12:52
JPEWI thought they would have a virtual live option so I could be lazy and not finish my talk until the day before :)12:52
tgamblinzeddii: Alright, let me know if I can help12:53
JosefHolzmayr[m]JPEW: d'oh. at least for the mentorship session they don't "require" more than a quick check 30 minutes early and just going on zoom.12:54
tgamblinAs mentioned the only functional difference I see is BBCLASSEXTEND = "native", there are no distinct DEPENDS/RDEPENDS12:54
RPzeddii, tgamblin: if you could make the DESCRIPTION/SUMMARY match for now that will probably silence the autobuilder issue for a bit :)12:56
*** paulg <paulg!> has joined #yocto12:58
JPEWRP: poky-contrib/jpew/sbom is ready for me to send a PR for; I have a lot of changes to create-sdpx.bbclass as we found issues. Do you want all those squashed into a single commit?13:03
*** mxang <mxang!~mxang@> has joined #yocto13:05
RPJPEW: it depends if you think the development history is useful13:09
RPJPEW: can you change "Fix BSD license" to "Use a specific BSD license variant"?13:09
RPJPEW: those commits could do with a long log "Make the license more accurate by specifying the variant of the BSD license rather than the generic one" too13:10
RPor similar13:10
*** goliath <goliath!~goliath@user/goliath> has quit IRC (Quit: SIGSEGV)13:10
JPEWI can do that too13:10
RPJPEW: the changes to create-spdx do tell a story so may be useful to preserve, at least some of it13:11
JPEWK, sounds good to me13:12
rburtonRP: is it too late to rip out the 'BSD' license from common-licenses?13:22
RPrburton: how close are we to cleaning up core?13:22
rburtona quick grep said ~15 instances in core, so if jpew fixed most of them then close13:23
RPvmeson: rust fix sent out. Please don't judge it too harshly, it is horrible13:23
rburtonbiggest problem would be a selftest refers to it, but that might be trivial13:23
RPrburton: I'd be happy to see it removed and I think there is just time if the patches get here now13:24
RPwill cause some complaining no doubt13:24
rburtonthere's still some left in core13:26
RPheh, and bad RP didn't check the malloc return code13:26
* RP tries to decide if he cares13:26
rburtonbut shouldn't be *too* much effort to sort13:26
RPrburton: I've had a lot of "not too much effort" recently ;-)13:27
* paulg thinks RP just called rust "horrible". :)13:31
RPpaulg: My hack to it is horrible, I try not to comment on rust itself13:32
RPshell wrappers aren't enough so lets use C13:32
* rburton looks at the license file for the first recipe he picked, and runs in horror13:32
paulgRP, I like my interpretation better - has a better chance of getting vmeson all wound up.  :-P13:34
RPpaulg: :)13:34
JPEWUgh, `create-pull-request` has defeated me :(13:35
RPJPEW: rm 00*.patch; git format-patch -M HEAD~X..HEAD; git send-email 00*.patch13:42
RPassuming you have the checkout set with an email address for patches13:43
JPEWRP: Ya. I thought I could be tricky and use the script :)13:43
JPEWI'll just send them the usual way13:44
vmesonRP: paulg: lol!  RP: makes sense to me, even before coffee!13:48
rburtonJPEW: looked at three "BSD" using recipes, and ran away screaming twice.  hdparm and lsof both use 'bsd-like' custom licenses13:48
JPEWrburton: Ya, some of they are bad13:48
JPEWI *think* what you do in that case is add a custom license to the SPDX document13:48
rburtonneed to represent that in yocto first really though13:49
JPEWMaybe "BSD-like" ?13:49
JPEWI had a really hard time finding what license some arbitrary license text should be called. Does anyone know if there is some "licence fragment search engine"?13:50
*** dlan <dlan!~dennis@gentoo/developer/dlan> has quit IRC (Remote host closed the connection)13:51
rburtonthere is but i can't remember what its calld13:52
rburtonneed a better way to handle totally custom licenses per recipe13:57
rburtonwell a few more were easily cleaned up13:57
*** bps <bps!> has joined #yocto14:00
*** sakoman <sakoman!~steve@> has joined #yocto14:00
qschulzrburton: ?14:03
*** dlan <dlan!~dennis@gentoo/developer/dlan> has joined #yocto14:05
*** goliath <goliath!~goliath@user/goliath> has joined #yocto14:06
*** willo <willo!> has joined #yocto14:11
rburtonqschulz: aha, thanks14:12
RPvmeson: this brings us to which suggests this wrapper hack needs to be centralised?14:12
sgwRP: your dealing with the builds you started today that failed?14:14
RPsgw: I guess I know what happened to them :/14:19
RPpaulg: I think a new way to wind up vmeson might be to talk about the rust std (it's standard library called libstd-rs)14:31
paulgRally Sport!14:33
vmesonand here I was going to make a flattering comment about how I test drove a Golf R (hot hatch) last night with a friend and was thinking that an Golf RP would be even more powerful^Hannoying.14:39
RPvmeson: Sorry, I'm really not happy with rust atm14:43
RPsgw: I've hopefully sorted out my swat flagged builds14:44
* RP is back to another rebuild on the AB. I pulled the license stuff in so it will be a while14:45
RPvmeson: I've revised the cargo change to apply to rust-common instead14:45
wCPOmihai, JosefHolzmayr[m]: is what I ended up with, but perhaps I should have added a function so it will error out earlier if openssl isn't added (it won't compile if only repart is specified)14:46
*** whuang0389 <whuang0389!~whuang038@2607:9880:2d78:22:797a:9df6:c703:d35d> has joined #yocto14:46
qschulzwCPO: you could do an anonymous python function which checks if repart is in PACKAGECONFIG and if so, checks that openssl is in it too otherwise fails with bbfatal14:49
qschulzanother way could be to add the content of the PACKAGECONFIG[openssl] to repart too14:49
qschulzbut the first one feels better :)14:49
qschulzyou could even add openssl to PACKAGECONFIG from the anonymous function!14:50
wCPOI think that would be the most ideal solution14:50
mihaiwCPO: you can also add another line in systemd's PACKAGECONFIG, to check if said PACKAGECONFIG contains repart then enable repart and openssl14:57
JPEWwCPO: IMHO I'd make it error instead of adding it implicilty. Don't want to accidently do something the user doesn't want14:57
mihaibut I'm not sure if this will create a loop14:57
mihaior maybe it makes more sense to have "repart" as a distro feature so you can check for it there14:59
*** frieder <frieder!> has quit IRC (Remote host closed the connection)15:01
qschulzoverkill to have a distro feature for that15:01
qschulzI agree with JPEW :)15:01
* RP would just add the anon python to error if the config is wrong15:02
mihaithis could also turn intro a feature request, as long as there's a field for conflicting packageconfig options, there could be one for dependent options too :)15:06
*** linkliu60 <linkliu60!~user_name@> has joined #yocto15:06
*** tepperson <tepperson!~tepperson@> has joined #yocto15:06
teppersonis it possible to modify the /etc/fstab file based on the image type? my wic files have a good fstab, but my ext4.gz needs fstab modification.15:07
*** Belsirk <Belsirk!~rfuentess@2a01:cb14:87e:2200:1c04:7ffa:2a52:b0c2> has joined #yocto15:12
*** rfuentess <rfuentess!> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)15:14
wCPOqschulz: like so ?15:14
qschulzwCPO: seems reasonable at first glance, don't know the difference between bbfatal and bberror though, so can't judge what should be taken15:26
*** camus <camus!~Instantbi@> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)15:28
*** camus <camus!~Instantbi@> has joined #yocto15:28
RPerror displays an error message but keeps going, fatal stops execution15:29
*** florian <florian!> has quit IRC (Quit: Ex-Chat)15:29
JPEWWill bitbake exit with non-zero exit code on bberror ?15:29
RPJPEW: yes15:29
*** mxang <mxang!~mxang@> has quit IRC (Quit: Client closed)15:30
RPJaMa: is the patch from Mingli on the list ok to apply with yours?15:31
*** Belsirk <Belsirk!~rfuentess@2a01:cb14:87e:2200:1c04:7ffa:2a52:b0c2> has quit IRC (Remote host closed the connection)15:36
RPvmeson: FWIW we have a new uninative in -next which should fix the docker issues15:38
vmesonRP, yep, Hongxu was mentioning that in a meeting so we'll be pulling that into our tests soon.15:40
*** pabigot <pabigot!> has joined #yocto15:47
*** bps <bps!~bps@user/bps> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)15:48
JaMaRP: yes, I believe so15:52
JaMaRP: I'll test it shortly with the new uninative as well15:53
RPJaMa: thanks15:53
*** tnovotny <tnovotny!> has quit IRC (Quit: Leaving)15:54
*** jwillikers <jwillikers!> has quit IRC (Remote host closed the connection)15:57
*** jwillikers <jwillikers!> has joined #yocto16:04
JaMaRP: both uninative and Mingli's bitbake changes work for me16:05
*** leon-anavi <leon-anavi!~Leon@> has quit IRC (Quit: Leaving)16:06
RPJaMa: great, thanks. I'll queue Mingli's change too16:10
wCPOqschulz: thanks, I will send a v2 patch shortly16:15
*** camus <camus!~Instantbi@> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)16:20
*** camus <camus!~Instantbi@> has joined #yocto16:21
RPtgamblin: I'm cursing buildbot's scheduling again!16:24
*** dev1990 <dev1990!> has joined #yocto16:27
RPpaulg: thanks for the ppc bug summary btw. Seems we go through phases where we hit it more/less, guess it is all down to timing16:30
*** bps <bps!> has joined #yocto16:31
*** d0ku <d0ku!> has quit IRC (Remote host closed the connection)16:31
*** manuel1985 <manuel1985!~manuel198@> has quit IRC (Quit: Leaving)16:36
paulgyah, I know what my goldfish memory is like -- I capture details like that for my own benefit as much as anyone else's....    :-/16:47
*** jmiehe <jmiehe!~Thunderbi@user/jmiehe> has joined #yocto16:52
*** xmn <xmn!> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 244 seconds)17:09
rburtonJPEW: if you look at the bsd license mess, ross/sbom has a slew more17:16
rburtonwhat sort of license is "BSD+" I wonder :)17:17
*** cocoJoe <cocoJoe!> has quit IRC (Quit: Client closed)17:18
*** amitk <amitk!~amit@> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 244 seconds)17:18
rburtonJPEW: fwiw17:20
JPEWrburton: Awesome!17:20
JPEWI have a number of other things to work on in the next week or so, but you should send in the patches you have!17:21
rburtonreally liking how github has a big 'license'  field on the front page of a repo17:21
JPEWrburton: Ya, it's nice17:21
JPEWHmm, I bet you can get that programatically17:22
*** xmn <xmn!> has joined #yocto17:23
JPEWrburton:  `curl -H "Accept: application/vnd.github.v3+json" | jq .license.spdx_id`17:24
rburtonrecipetool should do that if you point it at a github repo17:25
JPEWI wonder how/if it handles compound licenses17:26
vdcan you override gpio-hog configuration for userspace or will they fail with EBUSY or something?17:44
vdfrom* userspace17:45
*** amitk <amitk!~amit@> has joined #yocto17:46
*** florian <florian!> has joined #yocto17:46
RPrburton: how many are there left in Core? Want me to look at any?17:47
*** whuang0389 <whuang0389!~whuang038@2607:9880:2d78:22:797a:9df6:c703:d35d> has quit IRC (Quit: Client closed)17:56
*** thekappe <thekappe!~user@> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 250 seconds)18:12
*** thekappe <thekappe!~user@> has joined #yocto18:13
*** florian <florian!> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)18:18
*** jmiehe <jmiehe!~Thunderbi@user/jmiehe> has quit IRC (Quit: jmiehe)18:20
rburtonRP: 10 in core18:22
rburtonand a few references in docs and selftests18:22
rburtonat least two of the ten are "fun"18:22
rburtonlsof and hdparm are "i can't believe it's not bsd"18:22
RPrburton: I'm not sure I want to look18:22
rburtonmy grep is 'git grep LICENSE.*BSD[^-]'18:22
RPrburton: oddly enough I thought you'd gone and just ran something like that!18:23
RPrburton: I see you have tweaks for several on the branch18:23
rburtonjust this second pushed so re-fetch if you don't have wpebackend-fdo at the HEAD18:24
RPrburton: just looking in cgit atm18:24
rburtonah ok18:24
rburtonxinetd is another bsd-like
rburtonbut that's clearly not even bsd-ish, it has further terms18:25
JPEWpython3-packaging: "BSD" for normal people, Apache-2.0 for the lawyers? ;)18:25
rburtonthat was interesting :)18:25
rburtoni'm scared to dig into ffmpeg18:25
RPrburton: has a few BSD variants18:26
RPJPEW: beat me to it! :)18:27
JPEWI'm quick on the draw :)18:27
rburtoni guess we need a script to fill up oe-core with spdx license texts18:27
RPrburton: we've needed to sync this up for a long time :/18:28
rburtoni actually had half a script written18:28
rburtoni wonder if i still have it18:28
RPJPEW: hate to say this but I think your packaging change leads to sig instability:
RPJPEW: at a guess, unguarded BB_NUMBER_THREADS usage18:34
JPEWAh, OK18:34
* RP hasn't looked in detail, just guessing18:34
smurrayrburton: just curious, what's the reason generic-arm64 in meta-arm is locked to 5.10%?18:34
JPEWYes, I have that....18:34
JPEWNeeds to excluded from the signature?18:34
RPJPEW:  I can see things like do_package_ipk[vardepsexclude] = "BB_NUMBER_THREADS" so yes18:35
RPThere were some things we wanted to make people sign off as ok specifically18:35
JPEWGot it18:36
*** tepperson <tepperson!~tepperson@> has quit IRC (Quit: Client closed)18:37
rburtonsmurray: oversight.  patch to drop that line welcome!18:48
JPEWrburton, RP:
rburtonsmurray: when i next looked at the version report i'd have noticed18:49
rburtonJPEW: awesome18:49
smurrayrburton: heh, someone's asking about it wrt AGL so I did a test build and happened to notice18:49
JPEWSPDX does some different line wrapping/formatting, so it will rewrite most of the generic license files the first time18:49
*** amitk <amitk!~amit@> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)18:51
vmesonRP, abelloni, tgamblin, sgw:  Sadly, I don't have a shiny new graph for the "YP AB INT" meeting tomorrow. ;-)   Unless someone has made some progress to report or really want to discuss something, I'll cancel this week's meeting.19:03
tgamblinvmeson: I was going to discuss my latest attempts with our internal AB, but I can just bring it up after the bug triage if that is going to be the only topic19:04
*** florian <florian!> has joined #yocto19:05
RPvmeson: I think we're all a bit rusty so probably not a lot to report19:07
vmesonRP lol! tgamblin: yeah, let's do that!19:08
RPabelloni: you are sending me a ptest patch right? :)19:08
abelloniI'm on it and I'm not progressing as fast as I would like ;)19:09
RPabelloni: cool. I'd just hate you to think I'd forgotten! ;-)19:10
rburtonJPEW: two commits, one to sync formatting and one to add new licenses, seems sensible and easy to review19:27
*** cocoJoe <cocoJoe!> has joined #yocto19:31
rburtonaha found the lsof license,
rburtonso lets get that script in master :)19:33
RPrburton: Is there a patch ready to merge? If so I'll take it19:35
*** stwcx <stwcx!> has joined #yocto19:37
rburtonJPEW: can you send a patch with the result of your script today? I can handle that if not.19:42
rburtonthis script needs to be threaded for speed19:42
rburtonwell, pipelined would most likely help and be easier19:42
RPrburton: I guess if it is changing existing licenses, that will need more careful review too as if the checksums change, so will a load of other checksum entries19:43
RPAdding the missing ones may be a good start19:43
*** flynn378 <flynn378!> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 276 seconds)19:44
rburtonjust the missing ones:19:44
rburton314 files changed, 21319 insertions(+)19:44
rburtonyeah porting that script to urllib3 is a lot faster19:49
rburton(pipelined http)19:57
*** flynn378 <flynn378!> has joined #yocto19:59
*** angolini <angolini!> has joined #yocto20:00
*** stwcx <stwcx!> has quit IRC (Quit: Connection closed)20:02
*** florian <florian!> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)20:03
rburtonwe have about 20 licenses which are not in SPDX too20:03
rburtonLocal licenses that are not SPDX:20:04
rburtonPD, DSSSL, pkgconf, ParaTypeFFL-1.3, unfs3, Proprietary, GPL-3-with-bison-exception, FreeType, UCB, FSF-Unlimited, gSOAP-1, BitstreamVera, Nauman, SGI-1, bzip2-1.0.4, Adobe, BSD-0-Clause, XFree86-1.0, BSD, RHeCos-1, SMAIL_GPL, OASIS, XSL, tcl, SugarCRM-1, WXwindows, EDL-1.0, Simple-2.0, GPL-2.0-with-OpenSSL-exception, GPL-2-with-bison-exception, Apache-2.0-with-LLVM-exception, vim20:04
RPrburton: I thought I'd seen a BSD-0 one?20:07
rburtoni think its got a different name20:07
*** tepperson <tepperson!~tepperson@> has joined #yocto20:09
RPrburton: ah, right20:09
rburtonsome of those are just aliases we can remove and update20:09
RPrburton: right20:09
rburtonstuff like bzip and pkgconf i guess should be checked, and worst case turned into recipe-specific licenses instead20:09
rburtonok patch sent as i'm going away now, RFC in case josh wants to send a better one as its his tool :)20:10
RPrburton: I know bzip2 has a specific 1.0.4 license which has a spdx version too20:10
rburtonwe might just need to rename that too then20:10
RPspdx are interested in a list of licenses in a common linux system they don't have20:11
rburtonJPEW: some patches for the tool you may or may not like in my branch20:11
frayya I thought all of the licenses were covered by SPDX now, sometimes the 1:1 mapping wasn't obvious... but it was there when I last looked (about 2-3 years ago)20:12
rburtonspdx has bzip 105 and 10620:14
rburtonseriously people there should be about 3 licenses in the world20:15
sgwrburton: I looked at the history, busybox has an explicit bzip2-1.0.4  License, while SPDX has dropped that from their list, we will need to create a "LicenseRef-bzip2-.1.0.4" record20:19
*** ant__ <ant__!> has joined #yocto20:24
*** stwcx <stwcx!> has joined #yocto20:24
stwcxI have a philosophical question.  I did all the override syntax changes for openbmc and we've been running with that for a few weeks but people have asked me about the inconsistency in our own bbclasses and I'm trying to understand when something is an "override" and when something is a separate variable.20:25
stwcxWhy did RDEPENDS/FILES/SYSTEMD_TARGETS as examples go with override but VIRTUAL-RUNTIME uses underscore?  It isn't obvious to me.20:26
stwcx`SYSTEMD_SERVICE` I mean.20:26
frayMy opinion (I was overrules) was FILES/RDEPENDS should have been _ and not overrides.. the actual implementation though used overrides that are specific to the task being executed..20:27
frayit's one of those things it 'could' work either way, a decision had to be made..20:27
frayfor the SYSTEMD_TARGETS it probably should be using ':' syntax to match..20:27
stwcx`SYSTEMD_SERVICE` is : syntax.20:28
frayohh, ok..  ya SYSTEMD_SERVICE, RDEPENDS:<package> etc all should be ':'..20:28
stwcxBut then `LAYERVERSION_layer` is underscore when it seems like it is an override for the layer.20:28
frayagain the reason is that under the hood in the middle of a task, it's adding <package> to the override and parsing it..20:28
frayLAYER.... isn't an override, this is a litteral variable referred to as:  LAYERVERSION_<collection> in the code20:29
frayso I guess the official answer is probably 'it depends on the underlying implementation'20:29
stwcxRight.  So the only answer is "look at the code"? :D20:29
frayone of the growing pains of the change, but hopefully not TOO painful20:29
stwcxIt isn't terrible, I just have no way to decide when looking at our bbclasses: should I make a change here or not?20:30
stwcxAnd I can't very consistently explain to others which way is what and why...20:31
stwcxThe SYSTEMD_SERVICE is an example where the bbclass itself isn't even really using the override.  It literally changed the variable name in the parsing:20:32
stwcxpoky/meta/classes/systemd.bbclass:            if d.getVar('SYSTEMD_SERVICE:' + pkg):20:32
RPstwcx: The VIRTUAL-RUNTIME variables are all true variables, there is no override usage, they just happen to use different cases  in the variable names :/20:34
RPstwcx: the layer.conf variables are probably something we'll need to address in a different set of patches for "reasons"20:35
RPstwcx: PREFERRED_VERSION_X really should migrate to PREFERRED_VERSION:pn-20:35
RPstwcx: think of this as the first round and then we'll have to go and look at a lot of corner cases20:36
RPstwcx: I'd be interested in improving the migration guide with more info about the things that do/don't need converting as the edge cases20:37
RPrburton: with that license patch, I'm a bit worried at the license duplication :/20:39
RPrburton: e.g. GPL-1.0 and GPL-1.0-only20:39
RPI thought the later was the official SPDX form now?20:40
*** Guest28 <Guest28!> has quit IRC (Quit: Client closed)20:43
stwcxRP: I'm looking through all our variable definitions to see if there are other ones beyond the layer and our own bbclasses that ended up not being changed.  (Specifically looking at any variable we end up :append-ing.)20:44
*** bps <bps!~bps@user/bps> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)20:47
stwcxFEATURE_PACKAGES VIRTUAL-RUNTIME are the two that I find that aren't in our own bbclasses.20:50
*** ant__ <ant__!> has quit IRC (Remote host closed the connection)20:50
stwcxHere are some amusing typos I found though:20:51
stwcxUploaded file:
RPstwcx: it is amazing that some of these typos last for so long20:54
*** rewitt3 <rewitt3!~rewitt@> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)20:56
*** rewitt3 <rewitt3!~rewitt@> has joined #yocto20:58
frayhopefully I didn't cause any of those.. :)  (I've been known to typo occasionally)21:03
*** rewitt3 <rewitt3!~rewitt@> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 244 seconds)21:11
*** rewitt3 <rewitt3!~rewitt@> has joined #yocto21:12
*** rewitt3 <rewitt3!~rewitt@> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)21:17
*** cocoJoe <cocoJoe!> has quit IRC (Quit: Client closed)21:26
*** tepperson <tepperson!~tepperson@> has quit IRC (Quit: Client closed)21:32
stwcxI feel like I always do this wrong.  Is meta-openembedded or is it openembedded-core or neither?21:40
stwcxOh.  It is a bunch of sub-layers.21:44
RPdoes anyone here understand npm and our fetcher? freajs appears to have disappeared and our npm tests fail :(21:46
RPstwcx: it is the -devel list fwiw21:46
*** jwillikers <jwillikers!> has quit IRC (Remote host closed the connection)21:49
stwcxThankfully meta-networking had a MAINTAINERS file with enough info in it.  I realized I had meta-openembedded as a whole cloned, but it seems like `git-send-email --relative` did the needful.21:51
*** nateglims <nateglims!~nateglims@> has joined #yocto22:01
*** vd <vd!> has quit IRC (Quit: Client closed)22:09
*** vd <vd!> has joined #yocto22:09
RPJPEW: since I need to sort these patches somehow, I've added a vardepexclude in package.bbclass to see if that helps22:10
JPEWSorry. I have them and got pulled into a meeting22:12
JPEWAFAIK, That's all it is though22:12
RPJPEW: just the one in package.bbclass? I was hoping I'd save you doing it! :)22:13
* RP needs to get builds running before sleeping22:14
JPEWThere are 2 in create-spdx.bbclass, but the AB isn't testing that, so it can wait till later. I'll send it in a bit22:16
JPEWStart the build and get some sleep :)22:16
*** florian <florian!> has joined #yocto22:16
kergothCan someone remind me the process for requesting a commit backport to a stable branch?22:16
kergothI need something cherry-picked to dunfell22:16
RPJPEW: ah, yes. I felt I was missing something22:17
RPkergoth: post a patch with the dunfell tag or ask sakoman to cherry-pick it22:17
sakomankergoth: ^^ yes, either is fine22:18
*** stwcx <stwcx!> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)22:23
*** florian <florian!> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)22:34
*** jwillikers <jwillikers!> has joined #yocto22:38
*** dev1990 <dev1990!> has quit IRC (Quit: Konversation terminated!)22:45
*** nateglims <nateglims!~nateglims@> has quit IRC (Quit: Client closed)22:55
*** prabhakarlad <prabhakarlad!> has quit IRC (Quit: Client closed)23:18
*** prabhakarlad <prabhakarlad!> has joined #yocto23:18
vdI've set DISTRO_FEATURES_BACKFILL_CONSIDERED += "nfs" but I still see nfs service failing at boot. Isn't it the way to get rid of it?23:44
vd(I used to do DISTRO_FEATURES_remove = "nfs" but it made RP mad :P)23:45
*** tp43_ <tp43_!~ndeem@2001:1970:502b:d701:a199:1a3e:abd1:ac4c> has joined #yocto23:52

Generated by 2.17.2 by Marius Gedminas - find it at!