Wednesday, 2022-03-16

*** florian <florian!> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 250 seconds)00:21
rfs613I see rburton has done CVE-2022-0778 (openssl), by upreving the package. For dunfell, presumably we only want the CVE backported, rather than updating 1.1.1l -> 1.1.1n, correct?00:53
moto-timorfs613: it depends on whether the release has new features or is just security and bug fixes.01:00
*** goliath <goliath!~goliath@user/goliath> has quit IRC (Quit: SIGSEGV)01:00
rfs613wasn't expecting an answer until tomorrow ;-)01:00
rfs613it looks mostly like fixes to me, judging from what I see on;a=log;h=refs/heads/OpenSSL_1_1_1-stable01:02
rfs613seems they did add some new cyphersuites, I guess that is not strictly a "fix"01:06
moto-timosakoman is the final say, but I suspect an unrevised would be accepted01:09
moto-timoStupid autocorrect01:10
rfs613yep, between 1.1.1l and 1.1.1m there seem to be more things that are not just fixes.01:10
rfs613i'll wait to check with sakoman tomorrow01:11
*** GNUmoon <GNUmoon!~GNUmoon@gateway/tor-sasl/gnumoon> has quit IRC (Remote host closed the connection)01:14
*** GNUmoon <GNUmoon!~GNUmoon@gateway/tor-sasl/gnumoon> has joined #yocto01:14
*** tlhonmey <tlhonmey!~tlhonmey@> has quit IRC (Quit: Client closed)01:18
*** camus <camus!~Instantbi@2409:8a1e:9118:ceb0:a87d:716:a2ef:fa7c> has quit IRC (Quit: camus)01:22
*** qschulz <qschulz!> has quit IRC (Remote host closed the connection)01:32
*** qschulz <qschulz!> has joined #yocto01:35
*** ecdhe <ecdhe!~ecdhe@user/ecdhe> has quit IRC (Read error: Connection reset by peer)01:36
*** camus <camus!~Instantbi@2409:8a1e:9118:ceb0:85c2:5621:159b:92db> has joined #yocto01:42
*** starblue <starblue!> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)02:23
*** starblue <starblue!> has joined #yocto02:25
*** akiCA <akiCA!~akiCA@user/akica> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)02:36
*** jclsn8 <jclsn8!> has joined #yocto03:36
*** jclsn <jclsn!> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)03:38
*** Wouter0100 <Wouter0100!> has quit IRC (Remote host closed the connection)03:56
*** Wouter0100 <Wouter0100!> has joined #yocto03:56
*** amitk <amitk!~amit@> has joined #yocto04:04
*** fray <fray!~fray@> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 256 seconds)04:40
*** fray <fray!~fray@> has joined #yocto04:40
*** sakoman <sakoman!> has quit IRC (Quit: Leaving.)04:52
*** Lihis <Lihis!~Lihis@2001:41d0:e:f34::1> has quit IRC (Quit: Quitting)05:23
*** fitzsim <fitzsim!> has quit IRC (Read error: Connection reset by peer)05:23
*** Lihis <Lihis!~Lihis@2001:41d0:e:f34::1> has joined #yocto05:24
*** manuel1985 <manuel1985!~manuel198@2a02:1748:dd5c:f290:c5b2:fdff:b718:9edf> has joined #yocto06:14
*** alessioigor <alessioigor!~alessioig@> has joined #yocto06:20
*** alessioigor <alessioigor!~alessioig@> has quit IRC (Quit: alessioigor)06:27
*** alessioigor <alessioigor!~alessioig@> has joined #yocto06:27
*** alessioigor <alessioigor!~alessioig@> has quit IRC (Client Quit)06:28
*** cb5r <cb5r!~cb5r@user/cb5r> has joined #yocto06:41
jclsn8Damn it06:56
*** jclsn8 is now known as jclsn06:57
jclsnWhere is the defconfig stored that bitbake uses? I can't find it under work-shared/machine/kernel-source06:57
jclsnI am using the one in my recipe actually06:58
jclsnLayer I mean06:58
jclsnSo at recipes-kernel/linux/linux-fslc-imx/mx8/defconfig06:59
*** camus <camus!~Instantbi@2409:8a1e:9118:ceb0:85c2:5621:159b:92db> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)07:03
*** rob_w <rob_w!> has joined #yocto07:18
*** tre <tre!> has joined #yocto07:19
*** manuel1985 <manuel1985!~manuel198@2a02:1748:dd5c:f290:c5b2:fdff:b718:9edf> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)07:21
*** mckoan|away is now known as mckoan07:29
mckoangood morning07:29
*** frieder <frieder!> has joined #yocto07:37
mckoanjclsn: bitbake -e virtual/kernel | grep ^WORKDIR=07:44
mckoanjclsn: and read your recipe07:44
*** tre <tre!> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)07:47
jclsnmckoan: Thanks, so the defconfigs are the same07:48
jclsnI have really no idea why devtool is producing a different kernel than bitbake07:48
*** manuel1985 <manuel1985!~manuel198@2a02:1748:dd5c:f290:c5b2:fdff:b718:9edf> has joined #yocto07:54
jclsnThe sources are identical and the defconfigs are identical07:55
ernstpSee there's a 3.1.15 release in the pipe for Dunfell. Maybe get CVE-2022-0778 in there also sakoman ?07:57
*** tre <tre!> has joined #yocto07:59
*** kroon <kroon!> has joined #yocto08:01
*** goliath <goliath!~goliath@user/goliath> has joined #yocto08:03
*** tnovotny <tnovotny!> has joined #yocto08:07
*** manuel1985 <manuel1985!~manuel198@2a02:1748:dd5c:f290:c5b2:fdff:b718:9edf> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 268 seconds)08:08
*** rfuentess <rfuentess!> has joined #yocto08:17
*** dev1990 <dev1990!> has joined #yocto08:18
*** Schlumpf <Schlumpf!~Schlumpf@> has joined #yocto08:40
*** leon-anavi <leon-anavi!~Leon@> has joined #yocto08:56
*** manuel1985 <manuel1985!~manuel198@2a02:1748:dd5c:f290:c5b2:fdff:b718:9edf> has joined #yocto09:03
*** florian <florian!> has joined #yocto09:15
*** camus <camus!~Instantbi@2409:8a1e:9118:ceb0:85c2:5621:159b:92db> has joined #yocto09:16
RPernstp: 3.1.15 was built and is in QA10:19
*** Bardon <Bardon!~Bardon@user/Bardon> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 256 seconds)10:26
*** manuel1985 <manuel1985!~manuel198@2a02:1748:dd5c:f290:c5b2:fdff:b718:9edf> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)10:29
*** lucaceresoli <lucaceresoli!~lucaceres@> has joined #yocto10:57
*** florian_kc <florian_kc!> has joined #yocto11:01
*** g-Guest75 <g-Guest75!> has joined #yocto11:02
g-Guest75Hello, the Yocto release info state that we can expect new LTS release in April 2022. Is there a more precise date known? Can we expect this release at the beginning or at the end of April?11:03
*** starblue <starblue!> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)11:04
*** starblue <starblue!> has joined #yocto11:06
RPg-Guest75: see the weekly status reports on the list. First rc build is due at the start and QA/release takes around a week11:09
RPg-Guest75: if it took us 4 rc's it would be early may, one rc would be early april11:09
g-Guest75Great, thanks for info11:10
kayterina[m]which bitbake command creates the script for a recipe? I execute the compile script by hand to bypass the parsing of recipes11:16
RPkayterina[m]: it is done by bitbake <recipe>, there is no more specific command11:20
kayterina[m]a,ok. Is it maybe unrecommended to run the script by hand when testing? For a single change in code it saves a lot of time.11:21
RPkayterina[m]: for testing it is fine but it doesn't account for things like dependencies being present11:22
RPkayterina[m]: I guess more specifically, bitbake <recipe> -c compile11:23
*** prabhakarlad <prabhakarlad!> has joined #yocto11:27
*** otavio_ <otavio_!> has quit IRC (Remote host closed the connection)11:29
*** otavio <otavio!> has joined #yocto11:31
*** DaxTailor <DaxTailor!> has joined #yocto11:52
sotaoverridesorry dont have my logging on, did someone tell me how I can get checksum for image artifacts, like is there a neat way of going about it in the image recipe? Pretty sure rburton taught me how thats done, but I forgot. The ref manual doesnt talk about it either.12:17
rburtonjust add .md5sum or whatever to the IMAGE_FSTYPES12:17
rburtoneg ext4 ext4.md5sum12:17
sotaoverridenice! Thanks rbutron!12:18
*** Bardon <Bardon!~Bardon@user/Bardon> has joined #yocto12:23
DaxTailorHello everyone.12:41
DaxTailorI broke my Yocto  environment by renaming the parent directory from /opt2/phytec-yocto-imx8mm to /opt2/ee-helmholtz-phytec-yocto-imx8mm. Then I changed all configurations with the absolute path, deleted the build/tmp folder, after bitbake tolled me to do so. Now bitbake is starting but I get a lot  of error messages and warnings. Is there12:41
DaxTailoranything I can do to make this working again? I did not expect that kind of problems by renaming the parent directory. (The reason I did this was to fit with our github repository naming convention.)12:41
DaxTailorHopefully this can be fixed, otherwise I might have to install the bsp again.12:41
qschulzDaxTailor: remove everything except sstate-cache and downloads directories12:44
DaxTailorYou mean everything in build?12:45
DaxTailorOk, i try.12:45
SchlumpfHi, I have a maybe simple question: I build one image for 2 slightly different machines. Now I have 2 config files in a recipe, one for the first machine and one for the other. How to tell bitbake to include only the correct config file?12:49
qschulzSchlumpf: use a machine override12:50
qschulzSRC_URI:append:machine1 = " file://machine1.conf", SRC_URI:append:machine2 = " file://machine2.conf"12:50
qschulzOR, you can use subdirectories: e.g. files/machine1/test.conf and files/machine2/test.conf and have SRC_URI += "file://test.conf" in your recipe12:51
g-Guest75or I believe you could just store the config file under the specific path in layer e.g. `recipe-name/files/machin1-name/config-1.cfg`12:51
DaxTailor@qschulz Now I get an error that workspace/conf/layer.conf can't be found.12:53
*** mvlad <mvlad!~mvlad@2a02:2f08:4114:c500:24d7:51ff:fed6:906d> has joined #yocto12:53
DaxTailorNow its starting again, created layer.conf as empty file.12:54
DaxTailorThank you very much, is it building mow without errors.12:56
qschulzDaxTailor: remove workspace from your conf/bblayers.conf12:56
qschulz(which means you probably didn't remove everything in buikd :) )12:57
qschulzDaxTailor: have fun :)12:57
Schlumpfqschulz g-Guest75 many thanks12:58
ernstpSchlumpf: a trick i use sometimes is to add a SRC_URI "file://doesnt-exist" and then in the error message you can see a long list of all the paths Yocto searched for the file, in order of prio13:01
g-Guest75Or you can go to WORKDIR of given recipe and check latest do_fetch.log file - the paths should be there also13:03
qschulzernstp: bitbake-getvar FILESPATH will return this without requiring the trick :)13:14
qschulzactually, re-reading my own notes, that might not be enough13:15
RPhhm, perhaps bitbake-worker shouldn't use stdout as pickled event data13:28
sotaoverridecould someone link me the yocto variable lists please? Or just tell me what the varaible for the /etc dir would be. I know theres the ${D}/..., not sure if there's one for /etc13:31
rburtonbitbake.conf has the main variables13:31
rburtonyou want ${sysconfdir}13:31
sotaoverrideso ${D}/${syscondir} ?13:32
rburton${D}${sysconfdir}, no need for an extra slash really13:32
sotaoverridecool. thanks again rburton!13:32
*** Guest7483 <Guest7483!> has joined #yocto13:35
*** Guest7483 is now known as Jurgen13:35
rburtonhuh sysconfdir etc are not in the variable glossery13:37
*** fitzsim <fitzsim!> has joined #yocto13:37
RPrburton: seems like a bit of an oversight!13:38
RPmichaelo, qschulz: ^^^13:38
RPhmm, python3-cryptography gets the prize of largest ptest logs, beating lttng!
rburtonthat's quite a big log!13:42
moto-timoIt has a very large number of tests13:43
RPmoto-timo: should you be up yet?! :)13:43
moto-timoUsually up by now. Not always on line yet13:45
*** akiCA <akiCA!~akiCA@user/akica> has joined #yocto13:45
*** rob_w <rob_w!> has quit IRC (Quit: Leaving)13:45
RPThere is something wrong with the crypto ptests as they don't show on :(13:46
RPsuggests a formatting issue from the run-ptest output13:46
JurgenHi! I have a question regarding breakpad. Does it belong here or rather in oe channel?13:50
*** sakoman <sakoman!> has joined #yocto13:50
moto-timoRP: sigh. It is unmodified pytest output13:52
*** codavi <codavi!~akiCA@user/akica> has joined #yocto13:54
moto-timoNeeds something like what python-bcrypt has tp manacle the output13:54
RPmoto-timo: ah, I should probably try and fix that then13:56
*** akiCA <akiCA!~akiCA@user/akica> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 256 seconds)13:58
moto-timoCan’t type yet13:58
RPmoto-timo: good typo though, quite like it :)13:58
RPDoes anyone have longer parsing times and fancy trying benchmarking a couple of patches to see if they help?13:59
* kroon one again sighs at the inclusive naming *insanity*14:05
RPkroon: another positive is we've cleared out some obsolete code and improved some of the variable naming14:07
kroonRP, improved some places, made it worse in other places, if you ask me14:07
cb5rJPEW: R U around? :) I am trying to build squeekboard from your meta-phosh layer and it's giving me a hard time :/14:07
kroonblacklisting a word like "sanity" is *insane* IMO14:08
rburtonlets not have a big discussion. its happened.14:09
JPEWcb5r: no, afk on vacation. Will be back next week14:10
*** kroon <kroon!> has quit IRC (Quit: Leaving)14:10
RP and if anyone fancies "rm tmp/cache; time bitbake -p" with and without14:12
rfs613sakoman: for dunfell version of CVE-2022-0778 (openssl), I'm guessing you'd prefer just a backport of the fix, rather than version bump of openssl 1.1.1l -> 1.1.1n ?14:13
RPrfs613: I suspect we would be ok with bumping the version for openssl14:13
RPrfs613: it is effectively a stable release14:13
sakomanrfs613: yes, if bug/security fix release version bump is fine14:14
rfs613ok, in that case, we'd remove the previously backported fix for CVE-2021-416014:14
sakomanrfs613: yes14:14
RPsakoman: was there a problem bumping the version last time?14:14
cb5rJPEW: alrighty - then enjoy!14:15
* rfs613 wondered that as well14:15
rfs613the previous CVE-2021-4160 was fixed in 1.1.1m (although the CVE is not mentioned in the commit)14:16
sakomanRP: not sure14:16
rfs613there do seem to be quite a few changes in 1.1.1m, see;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/OpenSSL_1_1_1-stable14:16
sakomanrfs613: quite a few in 1.1.1n too! But they all seem to be fixes, so version bump is fine14:18
*** jmiehe <jmiehe!~Thunderbi@user/jmiehe> has joined #yocto14:19
qschulzRP: michaelo: ndec: I think i'll be hated for this idea but I thought about ONLY having the latest migration guide in a given release. e.g. 3.5 migration guide only in 3.5 release. Then it's gone for 3.6 release (which will have its own 3.6 migration guide). This allows to keep links to appropriate bitbake version and ref-manual of YP docs without having to make them verbatim once we remove the14:20
qschulzvariables or rename them later on14:20
rfs613sakoman: okay, I'll prepare a patch for this14:20
qschulzdon't know how much work is involved and all the small things I didn't think about14:20
sakomanrfs613: Thanks, I really appreciate it!14:20
JurgenHopefully I'm in right place, my sincere apologies if I'm not.14:23
JurgenRegarding breakpad recipe - when I set the BREAKPAD_BIN variable, the .sym table generated is only for the binary without included libraries (missing symbols). Is there any elegant solution how to generate all .sym tables in binary and its dependencies?14:23
RPqschulz: trouble is that people will want to upgrade LTS to LTS so they will want other migration guides :/14:42
qschulzRP: it would be transparent to the user. We'd handle this from the build scripts14:43
qschulzand fetch the html pages from other releases14:43
qschulzI don't know how to explain it clearly14:44
qschulznor do I have an implementation in mind14:44
*** Jurgen <Jurgen!> has quit IRC (Quit: Connection closed)14:47
RPqschulz: not sure how that would work though given the references are either in the manual or they're not :/14:49
cb5rDoes anyone know the correct meta-rust branch for dunfell? bitbake is having trouble parsing the : syntax in both master and "test-dunfell" branches. I just saw that there is also rust-embedded/meta-rust-bin - can I just use that instead???14:52
*** lucaceresoli_ <lucaceresoli_!~lucaceres@> has joined #yocto14:52
*** lucaceresoli <lucaceresoli!~lucaceres@> has quit IRC (Quit: Leaving)14:53
*** lucaceresoli_ <lucaceresoli_!~lucaceres@> has quit IRC (Client Quit)14:53
*** lucaceresoli <lucaceresoli!~lucaceres@> has joined #yocto14:54
qschulzcb5r: it most likely means you're on an old dunfell reelase which does not support the new override syntax?14:54
*** tre <tre!> has quit IRC (Remote host closed the connection)14:54
cb5rqschulz: Does the syntax change happen within dunfell release? Then it looks like it...14:56
*** dev1990 <dev1990!> has quit IRC (Quit: Konversation terminated!)14:58
cb5rWhich version is relevant for the override syntax support? bitbake?14:58
RPNice, I can knock out 60 million of 225 million function calls from a "bitbake -p" for core14:59
RPThat has to help...14:59
qschulzcb5r: latest releases of dunfell support both syntaxes15:00
qschulzcb5r: yes, bitbake is the relevant project to look for15:01
RPand that puts 3% of our parsing time in sha25615:01
qschulzRP: not too bad :)15:01
qschulzcb5r: it's anyway recommended you upgrade to the latest dot release when a new one is out15:02
qschulzsecurity fixes, bug fixes15:02
qschulzand here, brings support for the : override syntax15:02
RP224 of 300s in parsing is in finalize() :/15:04
cb5rqschulz: OK. My poky is on tags/yocto-3.1.7. So can I safely just switch to 3.1.14 then?15:05
qschulzcb5r: this upgrade is supposed to be painless yes, that's the point of dot/patch releases15:08
qschulzwe're doing our best but bugs can still slip through15:08
*** kanavin <kanavin!~Alexander@2a02:2454:29b:3b00:d35d:e3cf:58b5:748b> has quit IRC (Remote host closed the connection)15:08
qschulzso let us know if something doesn't go as expected15:08
cb5rNew territory for me here - thank you for the helps! :) I'll give it a try!15:09
*** kanavin <kanavin!~Alexander@2a02:2454:29b:3b00:d35d:e3cf:58b5:748b> has joined #yocto15:12
RPyay, new perf worker went green15:14
*** DaxTailor <DaxTailor!> has quit IRC (Quit: Client closed)15:16
qschulzRP: all workers I could find are using Sphinx v3.2.1... which puzzles me since there's support for Ubuntu 16.04 and 21.10 and I would xpect the versions to be different15:19
qschulzso I guess we've a fixed version of Sphinx somewhere in the autobuilder worker building script or whatever15:20
qschulzbecause I couldn't see anyting related to this in the run-docs-build script15:20
ndecqschulz: hey! iirc sphinx comes from $docs_buildtools. in other words something else to do :)15:23
qschulzndec: true! I forgot that I commented out those lines to build it locally :D15:24
RPndec: Perhaps we should merge a few more python modules to master? :)15:25
RPmoto-timo: something else to fix? ^^^ :)15:25
* RP should find that branch15:25
ndecwell having sphinx in core would make sense..15:25
qschulzndec: could even use externalsrc to build the docs <315:26
qschulz(not the externalsrc part that is exciting :) )15:26
moto-timoI remember looking at that... I forget what the state is... but I think it had a ton of dependencies15:26
moto-timoof course so did python3-cryptography15:26
RPmoto-timo: I wonder how many we already merged now15:26
RPThe bitbake parsing patches are in master-next if anyone wants to play with timing btw15:26
moto-timoRP: let me look for the branch (I hope I pushed it)15:26
qschulzndec: although, not sure how it would work since we're building multiple versions of the same git repo :/15:27
RPmoto-timo: I think I had the "latest" one as I built that tarball :/15:27
ndecqschulz: it's probably enough to be able to build the sdk with the right tools to build the docs. it would be an improvement already.15:27
moto-timondec: agreed15:27
qschulzndec: right15:28
sielicki<vmeson> "sielicki: VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_syslog..." <- for future reference, this works but additionally requires `VIRTUAL-RUNTIME_base-utils-syslog = ""`15:29
sielickii'd make a comment on that SO post if i had an account15:30
RPmoto-timo: I found the patches I used and they appear to still parse...15:31
sielickisomeone actually tried to fix this,
RPbut pre overrides changes so this isn't going to work!15:32
RPmoto-timo: the recipes aren't even in meta-python :/15:34
vmesonsielicki: thanks for the info and I'm glad that worked. Would you be a willing to add a few lines to the Yocto docs?15:37
vmesonThe only place I see it mentioned is:
vmesonsielicki: if you prefer, just open a defect in the YP bugzilla for docs.15:39
sielickiI'd prefer to send a patch, I've been doing OE stuff for work for some time now and the only thing holding me back from contributing is that I'm generally inheriting massive debt that keeps me too far away from master to think about it.15:41
sielickimaybe this can get me on the right track15:41
sielickiOT but it doesn't help that work has some weird O365 plan that disables app passwords, which means I can't use SMTP/POP/IMAP, which means I can't send emails from my shell. /rant.15:42
qschulzsielicki: if that can help, the mail address you use to send the patch is not seen in the patch once applied15:43
qschulzso you could send mails from a temporary mail address if need be15:44
qschulz(i'm sending with my personal address for example, but the author of the patch  is my company address15:45
qschulz(i have damned O365 too, with MFA and couldn't be bothered to set it up for git send-email :) )15:45
sielickioh good call, I didn't consider that was possible. I'll give that a shot.15:47
*** Werner <Werner!werner@armbian/staff/Werner> has joined #yocto15:56
*** Werner <Werner!werner@armbian/staff/Werner> has left #yocto (Leaving)15:58
RPSaur[m]: can I tempt you into timing bitbake -p of the bitbake patches in master-next, see if they each improve things much for you?16:00
*** amitk <amitk!~amit@> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 256 seconds)16:04
*** _whitelogger_ <_whitelogger_!> has quit IRC (Remote host closed the connection)16:15
*** Tokamak <Tokamak!~Tokamak@> has quit IRC (Remote host closed the connection)16:15
moto-timoRP: Python 3.6 went EOL 23 Dec 2021
moto-timoRP: but we still have e.g. ubuntu-18.04 with that as the default I believe?16:16
*** _whitelogger <_whitelogger!> has joined #yocto16:16
RPmoto-timo: yes, correct16:19
moto-timoRP: so we can't declare minimum 3.7 for kirkstone I'm guessing16:19
RPmoto-timo: I'd rather not at this point16:20
moto-timoRP: fair enough16:20
* moto-timo worn out from all the changes as well16:20
RPmoto-timo, ndec: sphinx needs requests which needs pyopenssl which needs python3-cryptography which fails to build in nativesdk form16:22
RPrust issues16:23
moto-timoyeah, we can only build setuptools_rust native right now16:23
RPmoto-timo: my thoughts aren't printable16:23
moto-timoneither are mine16:23
moto-timoupstream sure does make our lives interesting16:24
RPmoto-timo: we're not building for target so this should work. I think the problem is more nativesdk rust16:25
RPCould not find specification for target "x86_64-pokysdk-linux"16:25
moto-timoRP: ah right... MOAR KOFFEEE16:25
moto-timothat whole "specification" thing is a mess in rust16:27
moto-timoshadows of all the hoops we had to do for sysconfig for python16:27
*** jmiehe <jmiehe!~Thunderbi@user/jmiehe> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)16:28
sielickivmeson: , thanks for pushing me to send my first patch to lists.yoctoproject.org16:30
sielickimany more to come, just give me a few more weeks to move us off thud16:31
vmesonsielicki: It's great to see new contributors.  Thanks!!  (ugh thud is so old! ;-)  )16:33
sielickiwe actively cut releases for things on dora.16:35
sielickican I get a vibe for what people are doing to manage build directories nowadays? Previously I've used android's repo tool, I know KAS is a thing, and we have a mess of shell scripts. Is KAS considered best practice at this point?16:37
rburtonkas is certainly a good option16:38
vmesonsielicki: I think it's a holy war like editors. We (Wind River) use a wrapper for repo, others use kas.16:38
rburtonkas is more 'fire-and-forget' in that it does the fetch and build.  its less optimal for interactive builds.16:39
sielickithe thing I liked about repo was that it was bare and uncontainerized, and didn't stop me from using devtool actively. That's my main concern with kas is that it's going to get in the way of an upstream-style workflow.16:39
sielickiI haven't looked enough at kas to understand if it strictly builds within a container or if it can just handle the bare clone for you.16:40
sielickiSeems to me like their mechanism for local.conf injection is somewhat reimplementing multiconfig16:40
qschulzsielicki: you have kas containers but it's not part of kas per se16:43
*** tnovotny <tnovotny!> has quit IRC (Quit: Leaving)16:43
qschulzpython3 -m pip install kas (or something similar_ should do the trick16:44
smurrayI couldn't find a way to not have kas overwrite the .conf files with 'kas checkout' last time I played with it, is there some magic to avoid that so oe-init-build-env will work w/o going and rm'ing stuff?16:47
*** tlhonmey <tlhonmey!~tlhonmey@> has joined #yocto16:48
rburtonyou can get kas to fetch and setup a build directory that you can then build stuff with manually16:54
rburtonRP: should we rename flit_core.bbclass to python_flit_core?16:54
RPrburton: yes16:59
rburtoni'll do that whilst I <cough> have some related changes17:00
RPrburton: I don't want to know :/17:00
rburtonthey're good!17:01
*** fabatera[m] <fabatera[m]!~fabateram@2001:470:69fc:105::18d5> has joined #yocto17:01
rburtonthe class rename is by far the most invasive one17:02
*** florian_kc <florian_kc!> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)17:03
moto-timothey are good changes and simple17:06
moto-timoBut I’m not sure I have a leg to stand on 😂17:07
*** florian <florian!> has quit IRC (Quit: Ex-Chat)17:08
moto-timoAnd what about setuptools_build_meta? Although the name is already long…17:11
Saur[m]RP: I'll definitely give your parsing patches some testing. :)17:13
RPmoto-timo: I'm very much in favour of namespacing these17:15
moto-timoRP: I am fine with that17:16
rburtoni can see in the medium term the setuptools classes reducing down to legacy and modern, with the current setuptools being gone and the build_meta replacing it17:16
moto-timoRP: and the fall out in meta-python is still rather small atm. good time to fix up17:16 is unusually slow for me, is anyone else having this problem?17:17
moto-timorburton: I had a half-baked idea of just using build_meta everywhere... but then we found the other corner cases and I dropped the concept for now17:18
moto-timorburton: and I didn't want to generate pyproject.toml... already better that we dropped all my do_configure hacks17:19
*** mckoan is now known as mckoan|away17:19
*** Belgarion <Belgarion!> has joined #yocto17:20
* moto-timo wonders where we'll be in a year after more upstream melding17:20
*** Schlumpf <Schlumpf!~Schlumpf@> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 256 seconds)17:37
* RP is finding nativesdk rust is entirely missing17:37
RPvmeson: why am I being sucked into fixing this :(17:37
RPhmm, nativesdk-python3-cryptography just built17:41
* RP suspects that shouldn't have worked17:41
RPrburton: I'll let you try and arm sdk version of this ;-)17:43
rburtonmoto-timo: do you know any setuptools_build_meta recipes that build C extensions?17:46
*** MiguelH <MiguelH!~MiguelH@> has joined #yocto17:47
moto-timorburton: very quick search showed python3-lz4 in meta-python17:50
* moto-timo wishes for a magic tool to tell us this17:51
rburtonthought might be worth triple checking they're built properly17:51
rburtonoe-pkgdata-util should be able to tell, ish17:51
moto-timoafter the fact... I mean more like a query but I also want a pony17:52
MiguelHHey, is anyone else experiencing a huge degradation downloading from I have attempted two different machines in different networks/IPS and both can only reach 40kps.17:52
MiguelHI'm not even using it directly, it gets there from PREMIRRORS/MIRRORS, and it seems override that is a major PITA.17:52
rburtonmoto-timo: gonna make lz4 install the tests so we can exercise binary generation17:52
moto-timorburton: yeah, I think we need more ptest enabled for c-extension recipes... hopefully that is a small subset17:53
moto-timo(vs. boiling the entire meta-python ptest ocean)17:53
moto-timoit's been on my list for too long :/17:54
* moto-timo sees recipetool helping with that in 4.117:54
RPmoto-timo: sphinx needs the top 27 patches of
moto-timoRP: once again "gulp"17:55
moto-timoRP: but not at all surprised17:56
RPmoto-timo: it does actually build17:56
RPwhether it works, no idea17:56
moto-timoRP: I'm fine with supporting it if it works17:56
*** rfuentess <rfuentess!> has quit IRC (Remote host closed the connection)17:56
RPI'm torn between this and putting this into meta-python17:56
moto-timo(as in I can be the maintainer on record)17:56
moto-timoI think it comes down to the building the docs with the SDK/build-appliance merits?17:58
qschulzRP: is there a point using Sphinx 3.2.1 instead of latest (4.4.0 from pypi)17:58
qschulzI'm asking because sometimes projects drop dependencies when upgrading17:58
moto-timoprobably just what we have right now17:58
qschulzI haven't checked for sphinx17:58
RPqschulz: just that I was trying to get the series to work at all and this did once work17:58
qschulzmoto-timo: it is17:58
RPupgrade would be a next step17:58
qschulzRP: this looks painful though :/17:59
qschulz(your current branch)17:59
moto-timoas painful as the python3-cryptography branch :/17:59
qschulzeh who needs python18:00
qschulzjust do POSIX shell scripts18:00
qschulzI'm writing (almost POSIX) shell scripts for testing HW/kernel drivers and I cry already :D18:01
moto-timoRP: so, I have always wanted requests in core as well as a few more of those deps18:01
moto-timoRP: so the benefits might outweigh the collateral damage18:01
moto-timorequests is a huge win18:02
* RP is struggling with visual migraines and needs to step away18:02
moto-timoRP: that was me yesterday18:02
moto-timoat least half of those deps are arguably much better served being in core18:03
qschulzRP: take care!18:04
qschulzhave a nice morning/day/evening folks :)18:04
moto-timocheers qschultz18:04
moto-timoI will one day learn to autocomplete your nick18:05
qschulzmoto-timo: use the tab auto-complete :D18:05
qschulzmoto-timo: don't worry, the French tax office made the same typo and doesn't want to change it to my official name so eh18:05
moto-timoqschulz: I have had people try to use the "Norwegian" spelling of my last name ... they add an h (Ohrling)18:06
moto-timobut the Berlin phone book doesn't lie :)18:07
*** manuel1985 <manuel1985!~manuel198@2a02:1748:dd5c:f290:c5b2:fdff:b718:9edf> has joined #yocto18:12
moto-timorburton: also python3-pyzmq and python3-icu have c-extensions18:14
*** frieder <frieder!> has quit IRC (Remote host closed the connection)18:17
*** florian_kc <florian_kc!> has joined #yocto18:35
fabatera[m]Hi all! Any idea why I'm getting the following error?... (full message at
*** florian_kc <florian_kc!> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 250 seconds)19:29
rfs613fabatera[m]: you need to set a specific git SHA hash in SRCREV, so the fetcher knows which version to take. If you want the 'latest on branch' you can use SRCREV = "${AUTOREV}"19:40
*** florian_kc <florian_kc!> has joined #yocto19:47
*** manuel1985 <manuel1985!~manuel198@2a02:1748:dd5c:f290:c5b2:fdff:b718:9edf> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)19:55
moto-timoAUTOREV is only recommended for development... it forces a fetch/reparse every single time19:57
moto-timoSRCREV is the way to go19:57
vmesonRP, I missed the librsvg nativesdk problem and no one created a defect. I'm doing build and see what's wrong.19:58
RPvmeson: I have nativesdk fixes in my branch19:59
vmesonRP, ah good. Sorry that I missed the email/problem.19:59
RPI'm quite pleased with
RPmoto-timo: based on rburton's buildtools-tarball tests, we have automated tests of the sphinx docs build in the SDK :)20:00
moto-timoRP that is rather nice20:00
RPIt doesn't quite build cleanly but I think I need to upgrade sphinx. Now I know how to test it :)20:00
moto-timoI made a branch with your changes... just so I have a starting point20:01
moto-timonot that I have a tonne of time to work on this today20:01
kanavin"QEMU 7.0 adds a "-display dbus" option for exporting the display for external processes with a gtk4-rs Rust-based GTK4 viewer in the works for a future version of GNOME Boxes and virt-viewer.20:01
kanavinnice, maybe we can drop all those awkward sdl-native/gtk-native builds at some point20:02
kanavinand just use the viewer from the host distro20:02
RPkanavin: when all the hosts have a gtk4 viewer :)20:02
kanavinI guess it also nicely sidesteps the question of adding gtk4 and wayland support to qemu20:03
RPkanavin: I can see the attraction20:03
moto-timoold hosts... sigh... the gift that keeps on giving and giving and giving20:04
kanavinRP: you know me, I would drop sdl support long before that :)20:04
* moto-timo forced to install a bare metal Ubuntu 18.04 for NVidia tools20:04
moto-timoVM is not good enough20:04
RPmoto-timo: as a warning, there are unqualified BSD licence fields in that series20:05
moto-timorecipe quality disparity rears its ugly head again20:05
*** mvlad <mvlad!~mvlad@2a02:2f08:4114:c500:24d7:51ff:fed6:906d> has quit IRC (Remote host closed the connection)20:05
moto-timoand of course patchtest would only catch new recipes/patches... so we probably need to run some checks on meta-openembedded (like HOMEPAGE)20:06
RPmoto-timo: well, these aren't from meta-oe, they're new recipes that were never put anywhere20:06
moto-timoRP: ah right, from armpit20:06
RPmoto-timo: I'm trying to see if I can get the up to date20:06
armpitwakes up20:07
RParmpit: brought some of your patches back from the dead20:07
*** florian_kc <florian_kc!> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)20:12
RPmoto-timo: I've updated the branch with upgrades for sphinx, htmlhelp and seralizinghtml20:18
RPmoto-timo: testsdk then passes :)20:18
moto-timoRP: that is great news20:18
*** MiguelH <MiguelH!~MiguelH@> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 256 seconds)20:18
RPmoto-timo: I suspect we have the BSD license issue, HOMEPAGE, maintainers and then on to things like reproducibility20:19
*** lucaceresoli <lucaceresoli!~lucaceres@> has quit IRC (Quit: Leaving)20:24
khemRP:  something changed in core python3-kiwisolver started to fail see
khemI fixed it by changing inherit setuptools3 to inherit setuptools_build_meta20:37
khemanything rings bell ?20:37
RPkhem: you might be better with moto-timo or rburton20:38
khemthis came in just today so20:39
khemyesterdays master-next did not show this20:39
RPkhem: I've not merged anything not in master-next for a while though :/20:39
khemyes I saw that, thats why I was wondering, maybe some dependency update triggered it20:40
khemthe fix is there so not a big deal but was trying to understand what might have triggered it, I see similar fix done here
moto-timokhem: not obvious, but now we should be able to upgrade to 1.4.020:44
* moto-timo distracted20:46
*** goliath <goliath!~goliath@user/goliath> has quit IRC (Quit: SIGSEGV)20:50
*** cb5r <cb5r!~cb5r@user/cb5r> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)20:51
*** GNUmoon <GNUmoon!~GNUmoon@gateway/tor-sasl/gnumoon> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)20:59
moto-timokhem: the failure should have happened long ago... python3-kiwisolver  1.3.2 was still using old distutils (which cannot be built as wheels). Curious why it only showed up now.21:03
khem1.4.0 still has same problem21:04
rburtonkhem: using build_meta is the right thing to do, alternatively manually add a depends on python3-pip-native21:05
khemyeah I was coming to same conclusion. thanks for confirming21:07
moto-timokhem: it needs a DEPENDS on setuptools-scm-native21:07
moto-timokhem: which I get from
moto-timoerr python3-setuptools-scm-native21:10
khemtrying devtool with python3-cryptography for fun, it goes into weeds with devtool build21:14
moto-timokhem: yeah, devtool and recipetool both need a LOT of updates and love... but not enough bandwidth to do that now... first thing in 4.121:15
moto-timokhem: recipetool only knows about "" and only knows about old distutils3.bbclass and setuptools3.bbclass21:16
moto-timowith Python3.11 apparently we will get a tomllib and therefor we will have a parser out of the box to improve tooling21:17
khemoh so you noticed 4.0 ehmm 🙂21:17
moto-timolol... I celebrate it21:17
moto-timoplus there is some nice symmetry to 4.0 2.0 = 42 :)21:17
moto-timoWe can call kirkstone the Hitchhiker's Guide release21:18
khemmoto-timo: are those crate:// SRC_URIs manually encoded in python3-cryptography recipe ?21:27
*** florian_kc <florian_kc!> has joined #yocto21:27
moto-timokhem: I originally ran the "cargo bitbake" tool
moto-timoand then hacked most of the result away and only kept the SRC_URI for the crates21:29
moto-timothis will need to get incorporated into core and devtool/recipetool in the next release cycle21:29
khemyeah agreed cargo bitbake is useful21:29
moto-timoideally we need it to run during devtool upgrade so the AUH checks the crates21:30
*** jmiehe <jmiehe!~Thunderbi@user/jmiehe> has joined #yocto21:30
*** goliath <goliath!~goliath@user/goliath> has joined #yocto21:30
moto-timoI also have a maturin recipe but we don't have anything I'm aware of that needs it yet... I want to wait until we do and see what a maturin.bbclass would look like21:31
moto-timoif someone has a use case I am happy to run with it21:32
moto-timoI thought about submitting maturin to meta-oe... it's capable of building crates and python with rust extensions... so it wasn't obvious if it should go into meta-python or meta-oe or some other layer21:33
*** florian_kc <florian_kc!> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)21:40
RPmoto-timo: I've updated master-next with maintainers and homepage fixes21:48
RPmoto-timo: I'm handing off to abelloni to run a test build21:49
RPmoto-timo: I'm assuming you're ok to handle the fallout on the meta-oe side for this?21:49
moto-timoRP: aye aye. I am on board.21:50
*** GNUmoon <GNUmoon!~GNUmoon@gateway/tor-sasl/gnumoon> has joined #yocto21:52
*** tgamblin <tgamblin!~tgamblin@2607:fea8:c2a0:8640::10d4> has quit IRC (Remote host closed the connection)22:03
*** tgamblin <tgamblin!~tgamblin@2607:fea8:c2a0:8640::10d4> has joined #yocto22:04
*** florian_kc <florian_kc!> has joined #yocto22:16
Saur[m]RP: I have done some measurements on your three bitbake patches. The third patch (where you disable the logger) seems to be a clear win, while the jury is still out on the first two. This is with only poky on my slow computer at home.22:23
RPabelloni: Ive targeted your branch for a perf-debian11 run, lets see if we can see any performance difference with the bitbake patches22:23
*** xmn <xmn!> has quit IRC (Remote host closed the connection)22:23
RPSaur[m]: any kind of number for the real win in the third patch out of interest?22:23
RPSaur[m]: I was torn on the first two as well. The profile shows fewer function calls but it didn't seem to want to measure by wall clock22:24
Saur[m]I first averaged five parse runs, which indicated that the first patch was a small win while the second was a loss. Then I did the same with 20 parse runs, which indicated that both the first and second were losses...22:24
*** xmn <xmn!> has joined #yocto22:24
Saur[m]In my first run, the average parsing time went from 54.5 s to 51.7 s with the third patch. In my second run it went from 54.0 s to 52.8 s.22:26
RPSaur[m]: hmm, right. Glad it wasn't just me then :)22:28
RPIt definitely should be faster at least for the first one22:29
RPSaur[m]: thanks for testing22:29
*** xmn <xmn!> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 256 seconds)22:29
Saur[m]Yes! I finally have remote access to work again after more than three weeks.22:33
abelloniRP: ah, my config took the master branch of bitbake22:34
abellonilet me fix that22:34
Saur[m]Hmm, we've had a couple of failures in our Jenkins builds with Honister lately that failed with: DEBUG: Executing shell function do_flush_pseudodb / server did not respond to shutdown query.22:35
RPabelloni: there are some patches in master-next of bitbake it would be good to test22:36
abelloniRP: I updated my branch it now contains them22:39
RPabelloni: great. It hasn't triggered yet so should pick them up22:41
RPabelloni: just wondering if we should restart the other build :/22:41
RPkhem: did you ever have any follow up to ross' questions on the virtual/egl changes?22:43
*** kevinrowland <kevinrowland!~kevinrowl@> has joined #yocto23:03
*** codavi <codavi!~akiCA@user/akica> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 245 seconds)23:06
*** ak77 <ak77!> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)23:06
*** florian_kc <florian_kc!> has quit IRC (Ping timeout: 256 seconds)23:26
*** yannd <yannd!~yann@> has quit IRC (Remote host closed the connection)23:51
*** xmn <xmn!> has joined #yocto23:57

Generated by 2.17.2 by Marius Gedminas - find it at!